2015年9月9日 星期三

Working on an Organic Farm in Exchange for Accommodation

      Since I attended PDC last year, I have been planning to work on an organic farm in return for food and accommodation this summer. At the beginning of June, I applied for two organic farms located in Hualian and Tainan. Unfortunately, they rejected my application because of their full quota of volunteers.


One month later, I received an email from the farm in Hualian. To my surprise, the hostess told me that I could stay on their farm from July 7th to 13th. I immediately replied that I wanted to go. Although typhoons were coming, I was not afraid. I canceled arrangements with my sisters and classmates. Two days later, I arrived at Blue-Bird Organic Farm in Hualian.

I worked about 5-6 hours per day in return for breakfast and accommodation. I helped them harvest soya beans and sweet potatoes with other volunteers during that time. They were kind to me, and taught me how to sift beans. I learned lots of things from the farm’s young hostess and volunteers. Before I left, I decided to support the young farm which was established in 2014 by buying some products of the farm to share with my family and colleagues.

Through the 5-day and 4-night organic farming experience, I realized that farming is a tough job but in return I received nutrition and vitality from the land. What an awesome summer vacation!

Herb 2015-07-20
Corey Edited 2015-09-08